Happy New Year! I think we’ve gone past the point where it is acceptable to say that, but I am putting it out there anyway. I have been neglecting my blog for less interesting things like work projects, but that thankfully that has come to an end for now and I am going to be dedicating myself to making more delicious things.
My daughter had some allergy testing recently and it seems she’s grown out of her soy allergy, woop woop!! That will certainly make life easier as soy is in everything and I mean everything. It’s in 60% of items in Australian supermarkets, I’d say the other 40% is fresh fruit, meat and veg so it really is in most processed foods. We’re back this month to try out rice so fingers and toes crossed, we could be dining out at Asian restaurants soon. That is, if we could still dine out without toddler tantrums and food throwing. I wonder when you get to hold your head high in restaurants again, at 3 years of age?
This banana bread is adapted from a recipe at 101 Cookbooks. It’s a good one for morning or afternoon tea or a little snack for the kids. I think I’d prefer to swap the chocolate for some chopped walnuts and keep it more of traditional bread but the chocoholics might prefer it as it is.
1 cup of plain flour
1 cup of whole meal flour
3 very ripe bananas mashed with a fork
¼ cup dark agave syrup
¼ cup of dairy free margarine (I used Nuttelex)
1 cup of chocolate chips (I used Enjoy life, dairy and soy free)
2 eggs lightly beaten
1/3 cup of olive oil
1 teaspoon lemon zest
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
¾ teaspoon of baking soda
½ teaspoon of salt
Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius (350 Fahrenheit). Grease and lightly flour a 25cm Bundt tin or a 23 x 13cm loaf tin.
In a large bowl whisk the flours, baking soda, salt and sugar together. Add the chocolate and mix well.
In another bowl mix the olive oil, eggs, banana, zest, margarine and vanilla. Pour the mixture into the flour mixture and fold until just combined. Pour into the cake tin and bake for 50 minutes or until golden. Be careful not to overcook.
Transfer to a wire rack and cool for ten minutes and then turn the loaf out and cool completely. Enjoy!